Sunday, January 31, 2016

Broken Vessel



Since my beautiful baby boy was born in November of 2015, I have had a myriad of health problems. Including mini-strokes, hemiplegic migraines, and blood clotting and thyroid issues. If I told a friend or family member my diagnosis one week, it would change the next. I also felt that some could not handle the load I was carrying and I would lighten it for them in the moment. Those closest to me saw my suffering, and I am so grateful for my dear ones who let me be angry, sad, and frustrated while we were searching for answers.

Combinations of the spectrum of the medical field have helped improve my conditions. And a great amount of healing has taken place in an extremely short amount of time. Still I have felt unsatisfied. Too many unanswered questions…until Wednesday. Some lab tests done in December confirmed one doctor’s suspicions that I have certain critical genes that are mutated in my DNA. This condition is called MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase/mthfr.net). I have a compound heterozygous mutation, which is associated with decreased enzyme activity, increased homocysteine levels, and basically explains every health complication I’ve ever had in my life, including complications in pregnancy. So where do I go from here? Three words: life style change. I cannot change my genetic make-up, nor do I want to! But I can give the very best care to the body that I’ve been given.

I am forever changed because of this trial. I am already grateful for it. Grateful mostly to be alive! I believe in all good medicine, and I am grateful for all the people who study and educate their minds to help others.

“If we were to close the doors upon sorrow and distress, we might be excluding our greatest friends and benefactors. Suffering can make saints of people as they learn patience, long-suffering, and self-mastery.”  - President Howard W. Hunter

I am a long way from saint. Feeling this awful has brought back an old habit of swearing under my breath! But I do know that God loves me anyway. He does. He really does. He loves us despite our imperfections and our broken vessels. That is why He provided a Savior for us. The only One who completely understands our pain and suffering.

“I testify of angels, both the heavenly and the mortal kind. In doing so I am testifying that God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face. Always there are those angels who come and go all around us, seen and unseen, known and unknown, mortal and immortal.” – Elder Jeffery R. Holland

I know this to be true. As I’ve walked through my own valley, sometimes feeling alone in a valley of the shadow of death, I have come to know these angels. They have shown up at my door with flowers, spoken encouraging words, flown across states to take care of me, fed my family, and cleaned my house. I know many more unseen ones have guided me to inspired physicians, spoken peace to my heart, and kept me safe.

I believe in miracles. MY LIFE IS ONE. And I will not take it for granted ever again.

12 comments:

  1. Ariel I did not know of your suffering. I am so sorry. Thank you for your powerful testimony and example. What a blessing to know you! You are definitely in my prayers! Love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arielle, I love you! You are a strength, and an inspiration to so, so many. More than you will EVER know. This is exactly what I needed today. Exactly! Thank you so much! I wish I could go into fine detail about where and why this particular trial of yours matches up so closely with my own, but just know you have inspired a sad, tired woman today. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!❤
    I am also, very thankful they have figured out what has been giving you problems, so you can hopefully return to feeling yourself again; which to a lot of the rest of us, is like some kind of Superwoman!! Your enthusiasm, charisma, and zest for life is so contagious. You put off positive energy that makes people want to get v in on whatvever it is you're doing. I really want all of that back for you, because; people like you are the pops of color on the blank canvas of this world. Love to you always, Lianna Nielson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful words Lianna! I really appreciated your message and hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea! I would have never guessed. I am so sorry you have had so many trials recently. I am sure it is such a relief to at least have a name to it all finally. You are so strong! I admire how hard you work to find the positive. You inspire me! I love you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you have found the root cause of your symptoms! At least you know where you are at and can make a plan for recovery. You're a strong and intelligent woman that will not only overcome, but flourish in your new life style! Please don't hesitate to call if you need help sorting it out. As i share the same diagnosis, I'm happy to share what knowledge I've gained on my journey. Peace be with you my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words, and for continually blessing our family's life. I love you.

      Delete
  5. You are loved and we are praying and thinking of you often. You are such a good mom and so many people need you. Hang in there girly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea you were sick. God bless and thank you for your testimony and the music.

    ReplyDelete